COPYRIGHT INFORMATION

Please do not copy, reproduce, email or digitally download any artwork, text and photos posted on this blog. All images and content posted on this website are protected under the U.S. and International copyright laws. No portion of the artist's work or statements may be duplicated, altered, downloaded or reproduced in any way without prior written permission from the individual artist. Thank you.

Monday, June 15, 2009

BIRTHDAY ANGEL

So I promised to do some BECAUSE art after the wild women art show and yes, too-da-loo and
laa-laaa-la-laaaa-laaaa..... BECAUSE Today is my birthday and as a present to myself I did art in my jammies here in the studio all day. ALL DAY!!!! And here's what I created!
She is a birth angel here to remind us to stay focused on NOW. You know how when your birthday rolls around it's one of those reflect kind of days. Where you've been, where you are going. And I thought about how it's so important for us to stay in the NOW. Because that's really all we have isn't it?
So...I used a wooden shoe stretcher that I repurposed into her body. The wings are oyster shells that I found in Hawaii.
If you look closely, (click on image) you can see I transferred text from dictionary pages on the shells. I loved using the oyster shells for her wings. I drilled holes in the end so I could screw them onto the wooden body. I don't know if you have ever tried to drill sea shells, but it is nearly impossible. But oyster shells are, I am happy to say a Breeze!
The old doll head I attached and then I wrote journal notes on her forehead about learning to stay in the NOW - maybe now she will remember the message! The nest with the egg is the symbol of birth and renewal. I painted the tree growing on the foot.. the base of her life. The tree of life. I like this piece. Not sure if she will go on to the WW to sell, or on etsy or who knows. But for now, I am happy she is here in my studio. I want to be with her for NOW.
It is so lovely to spend a day of fun. Reminds us of the real joys in our life. Play. What a nice thing for us... I am thankful and grateful for the day.

ta
NOTE: I DID DECIDE TO TAKE HER OVER TO THE ART CENTER YESTERDAY (6-16-09) AND ADD HER TO MY MIX. JUST GOT A CALL TODAY (6-17-09) THAT SHE SOLD WITHIN 10 MINUTES OF MY HANGING HER. I AM HAPPY, BUT A LITTLE SAD TOO.
I REALLY LOVED HER, BUT SHE WILL GO ON TO NEW AND BETTER THINGS. SO PERHAPS THAT IS A SIGN FOR ME SINCE THIS WAS A PIECE I CREATED ON MY BIRTHDAY. MOVIN ON.

No comments: