COPYRIGHT INFORMATION

Please do not copy, reproduce, email or digitally download any artwork, text and photos posted on this blog. All images and content posted on this website are protected under the U.S. and International copyright laws. No portion of the artist's work or statements may be duplicated, altered, downloaded or reproduced in any way without prior written permission from the individual artist. Thank you.

Friday, March 4, 2011

DADDY'S GIRL


Today is Dad's birthday.  He would of been 84.  It's hard to think Dad's been gone now for 2 1/2 years.  I was a real Daddy's girl.  Growing up, he opened up a world of wonder and curiosity and I attribute my desire to be an artist because of his influence.  He loved the mountains and would tromp or 4 wheel endlessly, always wanting to see what was on the other side.  Always noticing the small details around him.

In this picture, taken about 1955, Mom and I were saying goodbye before we boarded the train for New York and then a cruise ship that would take up to Europe.  Mom had suffered the loss of my brother, Michael, who died at about 9 months old,  from what was originally thought Leukemia but later was discovered to be a blood disorder that could of been corrected with a simply blood transfusion.   It left Mom fragile and homesick for her family back in Germany.  We went back for 3 months, and it was quite an adventure for me.  I remember odd things about the trip.. the clock in Munich that had dancing life sized people that would come out and whirl around when the clock chimed.  A nougat candy that came in a round tin with a small wooden spoon to scoop out and eat.  Mom's Viceroy ciggerrettes that she would get out of a vending machine on the boat.  The scary mean Santa that came to my grandmother's apartment with a switch- a monster compared to our fat jolly version in the states.  Note the frills and lace I am wearing..
ghad.   I still to this day do not like frilly or lace from all the foofoo mom would dress me up in.  And those curls..  pink sponge curlers - because my hair is stick straight!

But most of all, I remember how thrilled I was to come home to Daddy.. and how happy our little family of three reunion was.  A new tricycle for me and lots of kisses for mom. 

Miss you Dad.. 
Hope you are having a wonder-filled day somewhere.. perhaps trekking a meadow filled with flowers and birds and lots of sunshine.  Wishing we could be with you.. I know mom wishes it daily. 

ta for now

2 comments:

Karen Martin Sampson said...

What a lovely tribute, to both your parents! The image takes me back to the 50's also. I was a Daddy's girl too. My Dad would work every evening after a long, hard day at work, painting a mural on my wall to entertain me as I was very ill and bedridden for a very long time. It inspired my desire to become an artist.

Artist Linda Drake and Lunar Designs said...

oh Karen, it's so wonderful to have been so lovingly influenced by our Dad's. I am glad my tribute brought back sweet memories of your dad.