This DADA was challenging for some reason. I used an old brush that must have been used
for some strong varnish because I could smell it in the bristles when I heated them for distortion.
And noteably, I did it outside as I am fairly certain the fumes where horribly toxic. Even the handle seemed
soaked with the old varnish. Mind you old brush, but still present. I started with his head using paperclay.
He just popped out.. and I loved his face. After the clay dried, I lightly sanded it and then painted the colors.
Next I found some wacky wooden frog arms that I attached and I liked that they were open and out.
Next he asked for a bow tie and I of course gave him a polka dot tie. An old button just seemed perfect to top it off. Next his body.. I tried numerous things, and finally found an old nose complete with the
fuzzy mustache.. oh it was perfect. But still I felt it wasn't complete. Then I found in my junk box,
a wheel. ohh sweet, perfect perfect. Even the outstretched arms seem to say balance. The challenge was I had to shorten the handle before attaching the wheel to comply with the 12x12x12 size rule for this Small Wonders Show.
Here's what I am discovering the longer I do art. I am beginning to get my level of "done". You know, you
start a piece and when do you decide it's done. Here's what I have found works for me. It's in my gut.
I don't "think" about it. I feel it. Gut art. Yeah.. that works for me.