COPYRIGHT INFORMATION

Please do not copy, reproduce, email or digitally download any artwork, text and photos posted on this blog. All images and content posted on this website are protected under the U.S. and International copyright laws. No portion of the artist's work or statements may be duplicated, altered, downloaded or reproduced in any way without prior written permission from the individual artist. Thank you.

Friday, November 5, 2010

INSPIRATION FROM ANNE


I walked into my studio early this morning, and the first thing that caught my eye is this collage painting I did several years ago.  I have been wanting to do something to it.. I even played with the idea of gessoing over
it and painting something new allowing the textures of flowers to show through.
But last night, I started reading "Imperfect Birds" by Anne Lamont.  I always feel such a tenderness when I hear her name.  She has such a gift of word and spirit.  Forever my favorite book of hers is
"Bird by Bird: Some Instructions on Writing and Life"
When I opened the book last night, the first thing I read is a poem by James Wright titled

 "A Blessing"
Just off the highway to Rochester, Minnesota,
Twilight bounds softly forth on the grass.
And the eyes of those two Indian ponies
Darken with kindness.
They have come gladly out of the willows
To welcome my friend and me,
We step over the barbed wire into the pasture
Where they have been grazing all the day, alone.
They ripple tensely, they can hardly contain their happiness
That we have come.
They bow shyly as wet swans.  They love each other.
There is no loneliness like theirs..
At home once more,
They begin munching the young tufts of spring in the darkness.
I would like to hold the slenderer one in my arms,
For she has walked over to me
And nuzzled my left hand.
She is black and white,
Her mane falls wild on her forehead,
And the light breeze moves me to caress her long ear
That is delicate as the skin over a girl's wrist.
Suddenly I realize
That if I stepped out of my body I would break
Into blossom.

There are times when I read something, that my heart just leaps into the words.  And I want to read it over and over again.  I want to print it out and paste it on the wall so I can be touched by this brief beauty that
surrounds me like a mother's loving arms.

So I decided to add the words to the piece.  It's what it's been waiting for.
It's what I have been waiting for. 
Thank you Anne Lamott for bringing me this touching moment.
And I haven't even really begun the book.  I am sure it will be
wonderfully Anne.

So this is my ART for day 5 of AEDM.
NOW
I have a huge pile of orders to tackle.
gratefully.

No comments: