COPYRIGHT INFORMATION

Please do not copy, reproduce, email or digitally download any artwork, text and photos posted on this blog. All images and content posted on this website are protected under the U.S. and International copyright laws. No portion of the artist's work or statements may be duplicated, altered, downloaded or reproduced in any way without prior written permission from the individual artist. Thank you.

Thursday, July 8, 2010

ALLEY HOPPING


So...
 I found this old card table in the alley the other night by a dumpster.  I tossed it into the back of my car, not even taking the time to see if it was broken..
Yesterday I pulled it out of my car, dusted it off, and set it up. Sturdy as can be.  Yes,  it's old, and it's got some scratches but I will put this old table to good use.  Put a nice tablecloth over it, and ta-da!!!!





 On the back of the table, I found a label.



Now here's the interesting part.  This table orginally  sold for $3.00.  And I guessed it was from the 40's/50's.  So this morning, I took pictures, then went online looking the Shwayder Bros, Inc up.  How interesting! If you are the least bit curious, here's the link to what I found!
http://www.fundinguniverse.com/company-histories/Samsonite-Corp-Company-History.html

This is a Colorado company started by Jesse Shwayder.  The picture shows the brothers standing on the table using a 2 x 4.  This apparently was their way of showing the strength of their products.  And obviously, they were true to their claim, as my "new" old table is in perfect working condition, with not a wobble to be found.  For free.  Imagine paying $3.00 today for a table and expecting it to last 50-60 years.  Makes you wonder about our "progress" these days!!!

NOW it's my new little side table to use at art shows, etc.  wahooo!!!!

No comments: